Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, July 20, 2007

Sain cerdd a chân, hen Gymru lân...

I took the opportunity when visiting my younger son Carwyn and his wife Kathryn in South Wales to leave a day early (Monday 16 July) to travel down through Wales, camping overnight in Snowdonia.

Capel Curig, gateway to Snowdonia

Camp site at Nant Peris

My route through central Wales took me through Machynlleth and past my former bird-watching haunt of Ynys Hir, where I stopped for lunch and spent a couple of hours walking round the reserve before heading off down to Cardiff.

RSPB Reserve at Ynys Hir, a diverse mosaic of ancient woodland, estuary and marsh

Tuesday evening we had a meal out in Cardiff and sampled the local Brains beer, and on Wednesday I had a chance to do some sight-seeing around my university town of Cardiff, and revisit some sights of my student days.

The spire of Cardiff City Hall

My university in Cathays Park, Cardiff. It happened to be graduation day

The centre of Cardiff has changed a great deal since my student days in the 60s. In particular, there have been huge developments in the Cardiff Bay area, the subject of a previous blog post.















However, some features haven't changed...





One of the purposes of my visit was to help to transport some items from Carwyn and Kathryn's flat in Cardiff to their new recently purchased house in Burry Port, a small coastal town just west of Lanelli. After dropping off the load, there was time to visit the harbour and local saltmarsh and estuary, and of course to visit the local pub, "Brains", of course!
Carwyn surveys his new garden in Burry Port

Sunset at Burry Port beach and harbour

12 Comments:

Blogger TCA said...

Beach photo is terrific!

Hope you had a pint of Brains for the TCA...

W

11:35 am  
Blogger Tina said...

That sunset photo is so beautiful!!

11:42 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Those Snowdon photos are very atmospheric. Loved them, all the photos in fact. I know Nant Perris well.
Carwyn looks good outside his new home. Next time he and Kathryn come they must look around my garden and pinch some cuttings.
Hope you had a pint of Brains for Pete'n'me as well as TCA.
Have you been in the Cardiff museum recently to see if the eggs still have little faces drawn on them? Last time I was in Swansea the graffiti on the lodge roof you defaced when a student was still there, although much faded!

12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could have done with a close-up of Carwyn instead of the fine looking bush.

I think I would like to try a pint of two of Brains, see if it lives up to its name.

What is your view of Glamorgan uni, btw, my son is keen on visiting it, they even offer money to students who sign up there.

2:58 pm  
Blogger Tortoiseshell said...

I gather you suffered a humiliation on the pool table?

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ben humiliated on the pool table many times too.

6:33 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I loved those photos of Wales. I once 'passed through' some of Wales en route to Holyhead. The bleakness of the landscapes I found very appealing. But I have never managed to get back there for a 'proper' look. Maybe one day!!!

8:19 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Humiliation? I don't call a marginal loss of two games to one (against a younger son) a humiliation. I noticed that an offer of "best of five" was declined, just as I was getting into my stride!

11:03 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

Beautiful sunset. I love sunrises and sunsets.
Susan

1:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maalie, do you know anything about Glamorgan uni, would you recommend it?

I liked the view of Ynys Hir, if only we had that weather today.

10:33 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Your photos in the last few postings have really shown summer sunshine. But we keep seeing pictures here of flooding in England!

10:15 pm  
Blogger simon said...

great post mate! BTW I am back form the outback and camping in the back of the troopie!

4:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home