Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, September 10, 2010

There's an old mill by the stream...

There are scattered around the Norfolk Broads some old structures that look like windmills. However, these were never mills, for grinding grain but wind pumps that were used for distributing water around the Broads network to maintain navigability. You can find more information about the old wind pumps here. Nowadays the pumping is done by electrical pumps.

What is that structure at the end of that backwater? Shall I paddle down and explore?

Ah, it's an old wind pump. It has lost its spars and sails.

I discover another - this one still has remnants of the old spars

Now, it is but a sad reflection of its former busy working life - a home for Starlings and Jackdaws.
Can you see something sitting on the top of the spar?

Oh, it's a Cormorant!

Horsey pump with stratocumulus; this is one of the best preserved wind pump in the Broads. With a head wind and the water getting a little choppy, I did not go closer.

As I settle down for my last camp in the Norfolk Broads, there is an inviting pub,
tantalisingly on the other side of the river.
But, hey! I have my very own ferry!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I didn't know all that about the wind pumps.

6:14 pm  
Blogger Cloudia said...

how joyous to join a paddle so very different from my own!





Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

10:14 pm  
Blogger simon said...

Now there is something interesting. there is a structure similar, along the banks of our river. I do know that boats came up from sydney to collect produce and I have often wondered if it was a pumping station.

Again another great post. How is the camera coping with the water? Or are you using the waterproof one?

12:02 am  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

Very cool! Love the cormorant and the night shot, as well.

12:12 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

It all looks so lovely and tranquil.

8:56 pm  
Anonymous electricians manchester said...

very nice it looks so peaceful

7:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home