Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Birthday Girl

Yesterday (December 2nd) was the birthday of fellow-Saggitarian Trudy "Strudles", the partner of elder son Alun. I was honoured and flattered that they should choose to celebrate the occasion with me here in Cumbria (the sea, mountains, lakes and escape from the stress of the "south" may have had something to do with it!).

The day started with breakfast of fruit juices, fresh mango and pineapple, toasted bagels with Philadelphia cheese and smoked ham, followed by baked Arbroath smokies, mince pies and welshcakes. Thornton's may have had an influence too.

We then called in at the old market town of Broughton-in-Furness to visit the mountain equipment shop's sale before soup and tea for lunch in the nearby Bakery Café. A visit to the art and craft shop preceded a drive over the fell to Ulverston for an afternoon calling into various trinket, arty, make-up and girlie-type bauble shops before Trudy declared it was time for a pint.

Trudy orders a pint

Then it was back home for an extended 40 winks all round before heading back to Ulverston where Alun has previously booked a table in the exquisite Rustique Restaurant.

Alun, Trudy and Jim peruse the menu



Alun deals with the wine

Trudy in demonstrative mood over coffee and a Baileys

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated best wishes to Trudy!

2:11 am  
Blogger Ju's little sister said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to Trudy. Sounds like the day was a real treat. I wish my Bailies came in a vessel like that one!

8:04 am  
Blogger simon said...

Yes I agree I note that the glasses are very generous!

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Trudy. Sorry I forgot. Do you normally have such huge breakfasts and exactly how many Baileys were in that glass?
Jill.

4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds the perfect day, certainly my favourite breakfast.

So when is your birthday Jim? It must be any day too. Happy birthday to Trudy too.

5:22 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Ellee, oh mine's in a couple of weeks. I'll probably celebrate it by going fishing. And then fishcakes for tea...

7:44 pm  
Blogger simon said...

perhaps you can celebrate it with news of the 2nd test....and a really refreshing COLD larger!!!! :o)

8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and son are both big anglers - but they never bring any catches home. It must be tough having a brithday so close to Christmas, even if you do prefer Solstice, which sounds lovely too.

5:46 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Simon: yes, there are a couple of cans of McEwan's Export in the fridge for self-flagellation later this evening. At least nobody can claim that you and I are not gentlemen of honour.

Ellee: ah, but I'm a sea angler (beach caster) so hopefully a nice whiting or codling will come my way :-)

5:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a fresh cod or whiting straight from the sea, how scrummy.

12:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No news then, are you fishing, or preparing for the Solstice?

6:58 pm  
Blogger simon said...

i think Jim is out and about bird ringing..( I received a text message) .. ellee!

6:46 am  
Blogger Ju's little sister said...

Maalie,

Internet connexion slowed to dial-up speed until the turn-over for the month. Will email '707 Roll' when I'm back up to max velocity again.

Have a good week,
JLS

6:24 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Hmmm ju's little sister... are you on xtra that you have to put up with that still? I thought the government had made them stop such nastiness.

7:06 am  
Blogger Ju's little sister said...

>shrug<

The 'Loops' are still being unbundled, and a friend of mine swears his xtra connection has become worse since it started.
Yes I'm with xtra but am relying on my flatmates to help me afford broadband and so am still stuck with the cheaper option where I only have 1G of download data. Am currently trying to convince the girls to fork out for the unlimited plan....

8:44 am  
Blogger simon said...

I think Australia and NZ have very slow broadband connections too.... we are certainly behins the rest of th world

10:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home