Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, September 28, 2007

Five generations

Five consecutive generations of first-born sons is quite a rare event: it may be expected to occur in about one in 32 families. The recent delivery of James Allan (Jimmy) to my son Alun and partner Trudy on 15th September 2005 was such an occasion.

Information about Number One (James Allan) is scarce, having died at the early age of 49 before I was born. It is known that he was a tea-merchant that travelled widely and lived for some time in Burry Port, in South Wales (coincidentally now the home of my second son Carwyn and his wife Kathryn). Photographs of Number One appear to be scarce.
Number One, James Allan (arrowed), with No. 2, Allan James
(the groom).
(Click to enlarge)


Number 2, Allan James, my father, was a merchant seaman during the Second World War, sailing around the world from as far apart as Australia and the Murmansk convoys. He retired from the Merchant Service after the war and became a postmaster in Colchester and died in 1970, age 53.

An early picture (c. 1944) of Number Two (Allan James) with Number 3 (James Allan)

Number Two with Number Three, c. 1968

Number Three (James Allan) was born in Cardiff in December 1943 and became a biologist, the father of Number Four (Alun James) who was born in New Zealand in 1971




Number 3 carrying Number 4 (Alun James) in New Zealand, 1973






















Number 4 (Alun James), New Zealand, 1973






Number Four also became a pharmaceutical biologist and, with partner Trudy, fathered Number Five (James Allan) in September 2007

Trudy with Number Five (James Allan), September 2007

Number Four (Alun James) bathing Number Five (James Allan), September 2007

James Allan with James Allan September 2007

Number Four with Number Five

Numbers Three, Four and Five

26 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

beautiful baby and beautiful pictures.

1:02 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Congratulations on the very happy event! Well told, the five generations story!

1:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely story, how proud you must be of your family. Congratulations again.

3:49 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I keep coming back to look at this wonderful posting! Number three as a toddler has the same facial expression as Number Three the proud Grandad. There is a remarkable transition between the 1968 and 1973 hair arrangements of Number 3. And I do like that fantastic scenic background where the young Number 4 is on Number 3's shoulders. (Not at all biased.)

But of course, the scene stealer in the whole posting is the babe-in-arms.

11:18 pm  
Blogger Ju's little sister said...

I'm glad to see Number Four is wearing true colours! The Force is strong in that one!

Well done Fowlers. Don't give up. My Dad (having read Brian Sykes' "Adam's Curse") will be interested to hear of this post.

PS Is Number 5 going to be in trouble if his first born is named anything other than Allan James?

1:24 am  
Blogger Plumpy said...

Maalie I am currently developing a method to use the phone to attract the fantails. Any helpful hints or suggestions?

1:27 am  
Blogger Merisi said...

Such a delight to read and look at the pictures! :-)
N.B.:
"... fathered Number Five ... in September 2007 ": Amazingly swift delivery! *chuckle*

1:00 pm  
Blogger Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh, what a beautiful post! I love the early photo's (although they are all wonderful).

After my father-in-law died, we unearthed a treasure trove of old photographs. I managed to restore quite a few, and have enlarged and framed them. They display the story of generations - all now proudly hanging in our hall. We are the sum of the people who have gone before us, it is who has made us who we are.

Many congratulations upon the arrival of your gorgeous grandson.

4:06 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments :-)

5:31 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Hey they are marvellous pictures. I have quite a few photos of No.1 James if you would like to scan them sometime!
Love Lorenzo.

9:40 pm  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

An avid reader of Lorenzo - can you please explain to me how you, Maalie, and she fit into all this genealogy?

The baby is quite lovely - congratulations!

We are awaiting an arrival in the spring to see if it is the 4th generation of a Grover Walter - so you got a way better name!

2:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you might want to book a trip to Malta:

http://www.birdlife.org/eu/Malta_SpringHuntingCampaign_Euractiv.html

6:02 pm  
Blogger Mrs Mac said...

I did some research into my family history last year. Came to a brick wall on my dad's side about mid 19th century, but traced my mum's back to 1680- and for generations they lived in Penrith.

We've always lived in the southeast, but -this is weird- loved to go to the Lake District for visits and holidays. Fascinated with the area ever since doing Geography of the British Isles at school, way back in the 70s.

I envy you your surroundings up there!

Congratulations, and a great post.

11:30 pm  
Blogger simon said...

It certainly is an amazing event to witness.

The similarities are everywhere- certainly in the "hair" stakes.....

:o)

11:33 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

It's no good. I lost the thread somewhere in there, but I can in all full appreciation of such say 'What a right cute baby!'

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't beat James as a name too, it's what we called our youngest son. I only decided on it on the way to the hospital, I was desperate for a girl, but still fell instantly in love with my little baby boy when he looked up at my face and gripped my finger tight, so helpless and dependent, so gorgeous. I do love babies. Now you are making me broody.

9:07 pm  
Blogger Ju's little sister said...

Are you on facebook Maalie?

3:08 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can see a great resemblance between number three in 1968 and his son in Burry Port

10:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute, cute, cute

2:33 pm  
Blogger Thesaurus Rex said...

Aaaaaah!
Good to have pictures of yourself with your dad and kids and grandkids. There's a kind of calmness borne of continuity.
Verification word Ileviald. Very Tolkein, don't you think?
Who or what or where would that be I wonder.

11:23 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

My father was called James, named after his uncle who died in northern France the year before Dad was born. But his grandfather was not James: he was the very typically Irish, Patrick!

2:26 am  
Blogger TCA said...

Many Congratulations to 3, 4 and 5 ! I know a certian Kiwi born little girl who looks forward to playing with no 4 and 5 in the years to come :O)

Uncle B.B.

9:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe my little James looked like that too, a long time ago. Where did the years go to?

9:29 pm  
Blogger Suzanne G. said...

I've been digging out old pictures of my family to scrap book. It's so nice to design a page around each one. You've got some real gems here.

11:16 pm  
Blogger TCA said...

Do you have the birthday dates (or just the years) for numbers 1 & 2?

W

11:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,

Great blog. Delighted to see a picture of my great-grandfather for the first time.

Jack

1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home