Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, February 22, 2009

George Frideric Handel

George Handel is the second of four tributes that I shall make to men whose anniversaries occur this year (the others being Robert Burns, Charles Darwin and Joseph Haydn).

George Frideric Handel

Handel died in 1759 and is probably best known for his choral music, operas, oratorios (especially the Messiah) but also for orchestral music, including concerti grossi and commissioned works like Music for the Royal Fireworks and the Water Music.

In fact, it was music by Handel, the Largo for his opera Xerxes, that was the first piece of classical music that I was conscious of appreciating. My grandmother used to plonk it out on her piano with arthritic fingers and when the family stayed with her on holiday, it was regarded as a treat that I was allowed listen to it before being to put to bed. You can hear the Largo by clicking here:


And for me, Christmas would not be the same without his Messiah playing all afternoon in my kitchen whilst making mince pies and sausage rolls. My favourite number from the oratorio is this (click):


You may indulge yourself by listening to more of Handel's music by clicking on the links below.


5 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

yes- I agree. Its uplifting stuff.

I like to play it whilst driving fast....

10:00 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Ooo Handel, what a treat.

Peter and I chose the Royal Fireworks to end our wedding ceromony!

1:58 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

That Lorenzo has disappeared from her blog but I see she's left you a message.

5:15 am  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

I love Handel's music too Maalie - and have enjoyed singing parts of the Messiah for many years.

3:42 pm  
Blogger Barbara Martin said...

Handel has been one of my favourite composers. When younger I would play variations of some of his music on the piano.

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home