Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Windermere

Over 10 miles long and 220 feet (67m) deep, Windermere is the largest natural lake in England's Lake District (and indeed in the whole of England). The lake offers endless scope for wildlife and recreational pursuits. Recently, my brother-in-law Peter and I chartered a Wayfarer sailing boat there for a day. You will find some aerial shots of Windermere here (but note that the name "Lake Windermere" is strictly incorrect because the suffix "mere" itself means "lake").

Tourist information about Windermere (please click on the image to enlarge). The fish at the top right is the Arctic Char, and Windermere represents its most southerly distribution limit.

Windermere lies in a steep glaciated valley with forested sides...

...with spectacular views of the Cumbria fells to the north.

The lake is studded with small islands, at this time of year with rhododendrons in bloom, and a beautiful environment for sailing boats of all sizes.

At the shallow inlet end of the lake there are reed-fringed shores, a haven for wildlife.

We guide our Wayfarer to a shady shore for lunch...

...then Peter takes the helm whilst....

...Maalie enjoys a little light refreshment.



This is Badger the dog's first encounter with a boat, and she was none too sure....




...especially when the boat keeled over in a stiff breeze.

Homeward bound: Peter's turn to relax whilst Maalie (hidden behind the camera) takes the helm and skillfully trims the sails into a "goosewing" to catch the most of the following breeze.


Sky Watch Friday

Maalie selects images from his albums of travel pictures for Skywatch

Click here for a complete list
of all the participants
of this week's Sky Watch!


15 Comments:

Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Lovely. Man I'd like to be napping along that shore.

4:09 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I bet that was a drunken trip! Poor Badger. At least she got a swim out of it, and isn't it the crew's job to sort out the goosewing?

4:37 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

The crew was in no position to execute such a delicate manoeuvre.

4:49 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I am surprised that you took your camera on board, knowing how often Peter tips the boat over!

4:59 pm  
Blogger simon said...

bloody brilliant yet again mate- looks great in summer ( and it was great at Christmas too)

freezing here- rain non stop. there are only 2 seasons in Australia- wet and dry.

12:30 am  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Very nice. Kind of breathtaking pics. I can almost feel like I'm there.

Has been a bit cool in temperature over here, though I myself like a cooler Spring and Summer, and a warmer Winter. Moderation in all things, you know!

I am impressed though, with the beauty I see in the UK. And it looks like a great time, as well.

9:01 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Thanks for dropping by to say hello. Am a pretty useless old bat these days as have been unwell for past 3 months. All very dull I'm afraid. However, did think of you on Sunday while watching a raven rolling in flight above the cliffs of Porthtowan.

10:44 am  
Blogger Jane Hards Photography said...

On a clear day I can see the outline of the lake district, but not as close up and beautiful as this. Boats and dogs not the best of friends apart form the seadogs here of course,

9:33 pm  
Blogger Catharina said...

What a lovely post - now I want to go sailing! And that dog is just too cute :-)

12:04 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Looks like a great adventure was had by all. Beautiful setting.
Word verif is 'muddled'. I am sure the poor dog would agree that might be accurate!

7:36 am  
Blogger simon said...

I like peters hair cut- looks very serious!

11:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very cool photos.. I could almost smell the fresh air and hear the flapping of the sails.

I bet Badger will be aboard the boat before you the next time, though :-)

5:07 am  
Blogger Regina said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful post. Great shots. I really enjoyed.

5:47 am  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Wow what fun, that is one place I would love to visit, great shot of the boats by the shoreline (the four small white sails)

Hope you are OK!!

10:12 pm  
Blogger Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Greetings from Southern California! Another blogger alerted me to your post here, so I have come to visit and say hello. My husband and I were at Windermere on June 7th (at the Lake District Visitor Centre) and I posted about it on my blog a couple of days ago. I saw several sailing boats on the lake and think it would be quite delightful if it turned out that you were sailing there that same day! Blogging does make it a small world sometimes.

Your Lake District is certainly beautiful!

Sara

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home