Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Sevilla!

Now that Great Britain is gripped in winter's icy grasp, I thought I would remind myself of warmer times. In September last year I was in Andalucia participating in an ornithological expedition (original post here). On my way back to the airport I found myself with a few hours to spare in Sevilla and, there being not much in the way of wildlife to photograph, I tried my hand at buildings.

On the banks of the Guadalquivir. This is the river that flows down to form the delta that is the Coto de DoƱana, where I had been undertaking the bird studies.

The cathedral square. I was arrested here once (a long time ago) and was taken away in a police car to the railway station and dumped on the train to Madrid.

The cathedral itself. Its most noteworthy feature is that Lesser Kestrels
and Pallid Swifts nest in the tower.


A closer look at the tower where the Lesser Kestrels and Pallid Swifts nest

There - just to show that it wasn't all beer and Magno!

On the way home. Ryanair, where would I be without you!

10 Comments:

Blogger Glennis said...

I think I would rather take a trip in the horse and carts than in a Police wagon! But it gave you a great memory you haven't forgotten.

12:34 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

What where you arrested for?

8:43 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Lorenzo - too much Conac de Puerto de Santa Maria!

11:33 am  
Blogger Shrinky said...

I mean, sure, nice photo's and all that - but hey, just cut to the scandle will you? What did you DO, exactly? (All ears..)

2:30 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

Lucky you, they could have put you in a place way worse! I wished I could spend some time in a really warm place. Here it is icy cold, all covered with snow!

Happy New Year! :-)

2:32 pm  
Blogger Jenny Holden said...

Hahaha, you never mentioned being arrested before :-D
It's far too cold to be looking at photos like those! That's just mean.

6:38 pm  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

Hey Maalie... Happy New year... another year to see gr8 photography of yours:)

God bless YOu

9:37 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Lucky, lucky you. I don't blame you.Are you going to share your secret with us?

9:45 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Very nice. Deb doesn't want me to put any winter scenes on our screensaver so I have a nice warm probably summer (naturally her favorite season) pic on there.

Quite interesting where birds nest at times.

10:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jim.

We got away from it all on Christmas in Seville a few years back, I took a week over driving and the wife and kids flew. My excess was sherry in Cadiz and was poorly ...!

Do you have a method of getting the good Ryanair flights, save for the early start. I keep looking every once in a while but never get the 1p deals which the enthusiasts find.

Tetrads, aha, now I understand. Millom Park sounds as though it could be good. It is mixed planting and deciduous backing on to Whicham Valley and of course the estuary. With a good pair of binos, you could probably observe it from home!

There is a good path all round but they keep you away from the quarry.

Best wishes,

Jon of the Hill

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home