Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bratislava

I have flown in and out of Bratislava airport a number of times in order to participate in the work of the nearby Seewinkel National Park on the Austria/Hungary border, but I never visited the city that is the Capital of Slovakia. Just before Christmas I had a few hours to spare before an evening flight and so I took the opportunity to explore part of "Old Bratislava" on a cold, crisp, sunny afternoon. Normally accustomed to recording my wildlife observations, I was here able to try my hand at photographing buildings.

Bratislava Castle: the massive rectangular building with four corner towers stands on a rocky hill of the Little Carpathians directly above the Danube river in the middle of Bratislava. It is an outstanding feature of the city.

I walk over the main bridge crossing the Danube as a barge ploughs its way upstream towards Germany. I wonder how they steer that thing?

Ah, some birds! Black-headed Gulls (in winter plumage).
Maybe I should start a Slovakian bird list?

A memorial marks the entrance to "Old Bratislava"

The Main Square, with the Christmas Market in full swing.
Yes, I indulged in a mug of hot mulled wine!

The Cathedral in the Main Square

Please click on the picture for a special treat!


A happy Festive Season
to all my Readers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Nice treat! Thankyou

8:02 pm  
Blogger simon said...

well mat.. what can I say? you do get around!

11:17 pm  
Blogger donsands said...

That was a quite pleasant post. Thanks. the video was superb, and I actually sang this hymn in church today. I have posted it on my blog.
Have a good evening.

12:15 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Fascinating, I would travel to Eastern Europe.

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home