Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, November 20, 2009

Five-minute chocolate cake

I have never made a cake of any sort in my life (though I am said to be adept at making apple pies, mince pies, Welshcakes and snickerdoodles). When a friend forwarded to me recipe for a chocolate cake to be made in a coffee mug, in just five minutes, I was intrigued enough to try it out!

The ingredients: 4 tablespoons of flour; 4 tablespoons of sugar; 2 tablespoons of cocoa; 1 egg; 3 tablespoons of milk; 3 tablespoons of oil; 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips (optional); a splash of vanilla essence; a coffee mug and a microwave oven.

Add the dry ingredients to your largest coffee mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly; pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips, vanilla essence and mix again.

Don't you think that looks a bit full? But I don't have a tablespoon in my kitchen,
so I used an ice-cream scoop which was probably a bit big.


Microwave at the highest setting for three minutes.

Ooops! It's gone over the top! I thought it looked a bit full!

Trim off the rough bits (you don't need to throw them away!),
turn out onto a plate and serve with squirty cream.


Who would ever know?

I was very happy with my chocolate cake and it will be added to my list of "regulars".

Request: If any reader can think of variations based on this theme, so I could make other cakes (as a change from chocolate) in this way, please let me know in the comments!

11 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

This looks like the perfect quick fix for when I'm having one of my chocolate attacks.

2:49 pm  
Anonymous alcessa said...

Nice!

I think (i.e.: the housewifey part of my brain tells me :-) ) you could use ground/chopped nuts, eg. almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts ... instead of chocolate chips - if you like them. Since it contains cocoa, it would still be a chocolate cake.

Another idea would be to use chopped/whole raisins instead of chocolate chips.

Third and last: you could also use bourbon vanilla instead of the vanilla essence, you know, so as to get a Posh Chocolate Cake :-)


(Have you got Great Bitterns in GB?)

3:01 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

I can see whole books of nursery rhymes being updated: No more four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie, but a single one in a cup and the Queen eating chocolate pie from a cup instead of bread and honey! :-)

9:21 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

I just googled "Great Bitterns" and was surprised that these are birds and not some bitter orange or nuts as I figured. ;-)

9:23 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

I think it is the Celtic Mug that made it go over the top. Try another team.

10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, home is where the microwave is!

We have made it in a bowl as a quick sponge pudding.

My kids were intrigued for a while making "Eggy-weggy", which is a slice of bacon wrapped inside a mug and an egg broken in the middle then microwaved for a few minutes.

You might add it to the Maalie-express recipes.

Jon of the Hill

2:15 pm  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Excellent!! I'll need to try that, and when I do, I'll be sure to serve ice cream with it. Yummm!

4:43 am  
Blogger simon said...

Abso-lut-ley fuckin fantastic! I have added it to my list too!!!

4:55 am  
Anonymous Ted M. Gossard said...

Extraordinary, Maalie. Quite interesting. I'm not sure Deb would go for it, as believe it or not we neither have a microwave, nor do we eat dairy (she's allergic to dairy so rarely eats it, and I just go along with the ride here).

You do seem to have the thumb of a baker. Of course you want to use your new kitchen, and use it well.

12:43 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thanks for comments everyone!

Jon of the Hill - I will certainly try your eggy-weggie!

4:30 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

That looks good. Will certainly try that when I get home.
I think you should just experiment. Try using similar quantities of dry stuff to wet stuff. You could always add a drop of milk if it looks too dry. Put raisins, cherries (glace) nuts etc. in to see what happens.
Squirty cream covers a lot of errors!
Maybe you could make us a Christmas cake by that method!

6:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home