Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Carnival comes to Askam!

My dosy little town of Askam-in-Furness is situated at the estuary of the River Duddon in Cumbria. Who would have thunk that it could have staged its own carnival?

I woke on Saturday morning, and something was in the air... At least there were flags and bunting aloft in my street. What was going on?

Not to be outdone I dug out my flags from the loft and decorated Maalie Court (left).
But what is all that pink stuff around the house next door?


Well, I never realised my next-door neighbour was a Princess!
(Photo with permission of parent)

Here comes the long-awaited carnival procession!

The Duddon inshore rescue lifeboat rightly has a leading position in the Carnival procession

Followed by the inevitable brass band...

The kiddies dance groups give a splash of colour to an otherwise rather drab street

In a World Cup year, a football theme was much in evidence!

By ancient custom and practice, the Fire Service brings up the rear of the carnival procession

The procession took over an hour to pass my house and was, for a village of this size, a splendid display. I spoke to more of my neighbours during that afternoon than I have in the rest of the year!

6 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

looks fun! I only recognised two of the flags on the door. What were the ones that weren't Welsh or the Red Ensign?

10:20 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I notice you had a flag from the 'best' side of the Tasman. (Sorry Simon!) Looks like great fun was had by all. I think you do know how to hold such celebrations in your part of the world.
I'm not surprised you don't see much of the neighbours- either off surveying tetrads or on another 'well-earned holiday'.

11:16 pm  
Blogger simon said...

that is fantastic mate!!

BTW re trip in September.. its a no goer anyway becasue the flood waters have blocked the roads and will not recede until the end of the year!

12:25 am  
Blogger abby said...

oooh pink princess and bunting and lots of cake and chatter - I wish I was there! So British - wonderful!

1:46 pm  
Blogger Hilary said...

Oh what fun.. the street was decorated so festively and your next door princess was a real cutie. Fun photos. Thanks for sharing them and for your visit to my blog. :)

3:52 am  
Blogger Badger said...

A Kiwi Flag? Was Passt?

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home