Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, June 18, 2010

Cei weled rhyfeddode byd...

... is a line from a Welsh folk song that translates as: "I saw the wonders of the world", when sailor Huw Puw sailed around the coastline of Wales in his boat ANN, calling in at the seaside towns listed in the song below:

Cei weled rhyfeddode byd, cei hwylio hyd Bwllheli,
Porthmadog, Nefyn, Abersoch, Traeth Coch a'r Felin Heli ;

Biwmaris, Amlwch a Llanon, Caernarfon a Chaergybi,

Ceinewydd, Solfach, Abergwaun, a Phordinllaen ac Enlli


During my recent visit to Wales, I passed through, or close by, almost all of the towns listed by Huw Puw, except my trip was of course by car, not by boat!

Map of Wales, to help you locate some of the places I stayed

The sleepy village of Aberdaron, at the extreme western tip of the
Llŷn peninsula in North Wales

The island of Bardsey (Ynys Enlli) viewed from the tip of the Llŷn Peninsula

The secluded cove of Whistling Sands (Porth Oer) near Aberdaron, where I camped my first night. The sand has a special composition that makes it squeak when you walk on it!

Moving down to the coast to central Wales (see map above) to the
seaside town of Borth,
where I lived for 18 years



Following the coast road down into Pembroke- shire I arrive at Wales' most south- westerly point near St David's. At the Coastal National Park at Poppit, I rendez- vous with....

...my younger son Carwyn and grand- daughter Heledd.
Heledd displays some peri- winkles she has found, heralding a future as a marine biologist?


Heledd enjoys her holiday in the sunshine on the beach


You can listen to
Huw Puw's song!

10 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Lovely photos, as always.
Did you find a pub in Borth to watch the footy on the telly?

3:43 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Looks gorgeous. I really hope to get there soon.

4:14 pm  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Cool how the towns curve along the coast. I'd like to visit those villages.

4:19 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Did I mention England 0 Algeria 0. Algeria? The play football in Algeria?

10:16 pm  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I'm intensely jealous. I've had a strange "thing" for Wales since I was a very little girl. I don't know what it's about, but it prompted me to even start learning the language some years ago. Unfortunately book & tape isn't enough to grasp such a complex & ancient language & there are absolutely NO Welsh speakers within hundreds of miles. I'd even scheduled a trip to go there, but the closing of my home purchase made me cancel the trip. Thanks for sharing your photos & info. I'd really LOVE to get there someday...

Heddwch!

10:41 pm  
Blogger donsands said...

What a lovely blog post, and such a lovely grand-daughter.

I pray i may be blessed to visit Great Britain, and Ireland, one day. Amen.

2:22 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Your grand-daughter is beautiful, and if she wants, who knows she might become a marine biologist. I passed through Wales one day en route to Holyhead. The hillsides I passed by were so foreboding- I have always had this wish to return and explore more, but have never quite made it. The seaside photos, in good weather, show a much gentler, kinder bit of Wales than the hills I passed by...

4:59 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thanks everyone for comments.

Lorenzo: I stopped for a beer there passing through but watched the game in the pub on the pier in Aberystwyth.

Badger: Thanks Cobber, let me know when, I'll offer myself as a tour guide :-)
Yes the football was a disaster, England is in mourning.

Charles G: You will get a warm welcome :-)

Lana G: Heddwch i chi heyfyd :-)

Donsands: You would find a welcome but I respectufully suggest that you take the matter into your own hands and book the trip.

Kiwi: I suspect you passed through Snowdonia which can look rather grim. But I have had some lovely hiking trips there.

8:59 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

grim..... that was the word I was wanting to describe those hillsides..... very grim..... which is what was so appealing ;-)

12:08 am  
Blogger simon said...

She looks as if she is offering the rugby ball to the gods- to ensure up and coming victory over the Aussies- Seems to have worked mate.

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home