Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Day!

A very Happy New Year to all my readers!

For birdwatchers, the Ancient Custom and Practice on New Year's Day is to get out birdwatching, no matter what the weather, and unashamedly "twitch" to get the "Year List" off to a good start (see here for my discussion of listing).

Today I met up with birdwatching/ballet/football friend Pam at the RSPB Reserve of Leighton Moss , on the border of Cumbria and Lancashire. This large reserve comprises extensive areas of marshlands and reed beds, with open water and surrounding woodland. A good diversity of birds is guaranteed.

Pam looks out over the marsh at at Leighton Moss

Our day gave a joint list of over 50 species, including the waterfowl: Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Pochard, and Goldeneye. Waders seen were Lapwing, Snipe, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank and Greenshank.

Calls of the secretive Bearded Tit and Water Rail were heard deep within the reeds but we were not lucky enough to catch a glimpse of these species.

Driving home I heard on the radio that Pam's football team Oldham Athletic had won their game by five goals to nil, and I wondered whether she had regretted not staying at home to see their victory!

10 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

Reminds me of the hide in the Sturt Stoney Desert!

10:52 pm  
Blogger TCA said...

Happy New Year!

Sadly our teams were less fortunate (Pompie; Foxes; Scum).

10:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twitching beats footie any day, glad you had a great time. Happy New Year to you too.

9:35 pm  
Blogger Tortoiseshell said...

Any chance of a report of your Dunnerholme cache trip?

About time you dropped off that travelbug - though it uis my understanding that geocachers should not really send stroppy emails on behalf of their travelbugs.

11:01 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

No twites?

4:50 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Don't be runcible!

5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I left a quote yesterday saying I'm sure twitching would have been much more enjoyable than footie. I can't wait to go back to Welney Washes,

Happy New Year to you.

6:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just seen my comment, I am tired, should switch off the screen, I have been working and studying hard today.

6:37 pm  
Blogger simon said...

Ellee, you make me laugh! :o)

9:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished New Year's Day on 52 species. I don't know how many Jim had but I had a head start having arrived an hour before he did. And no, I don't regret not going to the footie instead of birding.

2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home