Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Saturday, March 15, 2008

A host of golden daffodils

The woodland floors and beck-sides in Cumbria are now bursting into bloom with carpets of daffodils. Not the big gaudy hybrid daffodils seen in parks and gardens, but the original small wild variety that inspired William Wordsworth to compose his eponymous poem.

These are not any old daffodils. These are wild Cumbrian daffodils blooming at my research site at Roudsea Woods and Mosses National Reserve. They are Wordsworth's daffodils


I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee:—
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed, and gazed, but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

W. Wordsworth

16 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

sorry mate- that was my comment signed in under a different name!

what I said was:-
When I was a child we had wild daffodils growing under a golden elm tree. it was simply beautiful. they were smaller than the ones you could buy.

Thanks mate! This post evokes all those memories!

9:31 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Maalie, Beautiful pics and flowers! You're so fortunate over there. We're still "shivering in our boots."

Those are my wife's favorite flowers, by the way, along with tiger lillies.

10:22 pm  
Blogger simon said...

yes they are good.. I like freesias too. We have them here in the mountains

11:15 pm  
Blogger simon said...

Well mate I am back from the afternoon interview with Sylvie:-

Frankly I found it frustrating- the interviewer was asking questions that I found stupid- turned me right off Akram Khan too... seemed to have a lot to say about nothing....

6:19 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

What gorgeous daffodils. I am still struggling here with the idea that I will soon be experiencing springtime. We are still having warm days here and you have to look hard to find any signs of autumn...

6:22 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Shucks Maalie!

Beautiful photos. Those daffodils are really nice wild. Mine in the garden are fully out now, but obviously not wild like yours.

My celendines are coming out too. Another favourite flower, along with Sheep's Parsley.

10:12 am  
Blogger Shrinky said...

I was only commenting this morning to a friend of mine how our garden is starting to come alive again.

Most of all, I love the gorse that has lit up our island, it's everywhere, vibrant and cheerful.

11:30 am  
Blogger TCA said...

EPONYMOUS?! I don't think so..

Anyway, a perfect posting to mark Wales' magnificent Grand Slam in the Six Nations.

W

4:15 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

Beautiful! The garden out the back of my cottage is full of daffodils too. These like yours, are also wild. They smell fantastic, nothing like the flowers you buy in supermarkets which are mostly perfect looking, yet odourless varieties of the real thing.

5:13 pm  
Blogger Metamatician said...

Do they always bend that way or is it early morning such that they've got their heads craned toward the sun?

And paired no less with that most famous poem in the English language, the pleasant and perfectly vacuous "Daffodils."

Still, they are lovely flowers. I guess it's not a sin to just say something's lovely and not have to have a clever spin on it.

2:55 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Vacuous? That's Wordsworth's Twenty Seventh Vacuosity I'll have you know, young Californian.

11:00 am  
Blogger Merisi said...

Beautiful, Maalie!
This poem is one of my favorites, I have quoted it a few times on my blog, but never ever with such an arresting sight of wild daffodils. Thank you! :-)

4:11 pm  
Blogger Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Daffodils, snowdrops, bluebells and primroses are my favorite flowers because they are found in the hedgerows of the West Country that I love.

For me, the natural context makes a big difference, although I couldn't explain why.

4:16 pm  
Blogger Dana said...

I'm jealous of your daily environment Maalie, it's gorgeous.

I've enjoyed reading your blog, most of all your life story. :)

10:50 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I adore daffodils and all spring flowers, there is something so uplifting about them. I love Hellabores too.

8:48 am  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Amazing! I am so very envious of the lovely spring flowers, especially as it is still snowing here – or at least it did on Tuesday and is predicted for tomorrow – but we will be headed South by then and it will be a good 20F warmer!

It is a lovely post too Maalie – I think Lorenzo is right – you’re a real softy at blood pump!

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home