Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Winter Solstice

The sun goes down over the Irish Sea in Cumbria on the shortest day if the year

The Winter Solstice this year was an extra special occasion as my friend Simon arrived from Australia with his daughter Susie to spend the Festive Season with me in Maalie Court. With their first day seeing nice weather, a spin round some of the South Cumbria Lakes was a priority.
Simon and Susie - we take lunch at the Ratty Arms in Ravenglass

Wasdale in thin Solstice afternoon sunshine

Simon seems dwarfed by the famous screes of Wasdale

At dusk the important Ancient Custom and Practice at Maalie Court was the Coronation of the Solstice Queen with her coronet of holly. Susie duly honoured us by accepting this role (last year's Solstice Queen is here).

Susie wears the Coronet of Holly as Maalie Court Soltice Queen 2007

During the evening I received a phone call from younger son Carwyn (the subject of the previous blog post) to instruct me to open one of the gifts he has sent for my Christmas Tree. I duly did so and found it to be a wonderful Solstice present - a "Construct your own Stonehenge" kit. I duly assembled it and with strategic use of a tea-light candle was able to simulate the Solstice sunshine shining through the standing stones.

Stonehenge at the Solstice re-created on my mantelpiece

17 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Simon must have found it very strange putting on that big thick woolly jersey! Tell him the sun us shining here in the lands of the summer solstice ;-)

11:12 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

I love the DIY Stonehenge! Seasons greetings of all kinds Maalie. Just select the ones you like:-)

11:22 pm  
Blogger Tortoiseshell said...

...glad to be of service, the Stonehenge is even better than it appeared on the cover of the box!

1:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon and Susie look alike as my father and I do. Please, say hello to both from my part.

Simon's sweater is fabulous!

7:11 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

What a fabulous Stonehenge!! Love it.
Tell Simon to wear woolly jumper when we come up on 28th! Looking foward to meeting Susie.

Happy Crimbo you lot.

Lorenzo.

9:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maalie, I want to visit you too!
Too bad I cannot.

11:14 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

What a wonderful present, how unique. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I shall be going to Welney to see the swans being fed by floodlight, it really is very special.

11:28 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Here is the story about Darcey, I hope I haven't spoilt your Christmas:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22968709-5013110,00.html

12:49 pm  
Blogger Pen of Jen said...

Stonehenge...awesome! I love the model...look forward to visiting!
Jennifer
penofjen.blogspot.com

2:54 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Happy Christmas Maalie, Simon and Susie. I should be doing womanly things in the kitchen but can't be bothered.

Have you seen T.Rexy's Christmas Carol on his blog site? He mentions you!

Lorenzo. xx

10:00 am  
Blogger TCA said...

Solstice greetings!

The Ratty looks very cosy.

Quality knitwear Simon.

W

2:20 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

Extraordinary envy here: Haven't seen the sun in what seems like ages. Blue Danube's keeping us under a dark fog cover. I tried to get some daylight photos of the Christmas tree, alas to no avail, simply too dark at noon! Maybe I should use a tea-light candle to simulate some sunshine?

Hoping you all are having a jolly good time!

4:16 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I hope Simon and Susie had a great visit and solstice. They must have come for the weather ....

6:00 pm  
Blogger somepinkflowers said...

the reason i pop over here
to visit?

phrases like this:
**we take lunch at the Ratty Arms in Ravenglass**

:-)

here
**we drive over to Harry's for the coconut shrimp**

see the difference?
yours actually sounds much more interesting,
don't you think?

3:16 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Maalie, I hope you have had a lovely break with Simon and his daughter and your family.
Happy New Year, I'm sure you have lots of trips lined up, though 2007 must be a hard act to follow.

6:05 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

I was curious which outing you were planning for New Year's Eve. Maybe you followed Pinkflowers to the Everglades? However you may spend tonight, Happy New Year to you!

7:47 pm  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Maalie :) Wonderful gift and great to see Simon's visit for your Winter Solstice! Hello Susie :)

7:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home