Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Scotland

This year I felt most privileged to have been invited to join a group for a weekend's outdoor pursuits (cycling, walking) in the mountains of Argyll, Scotland. Being in the happy position of not being restricted to weekends, I was able to arrive in Scotland a couple of days ahead of the main party and do some cycling and birdwatching around the shores of the sea lochs. A complete write-up of the event will appear on the TCA Blog but in the mean time here are some images of my own reflections of the trip.

My first night camping at the fishing village of Easdale on the Isle of Seil, Argyll

An eponymous Loch Fyne kipper, cooked on a camping stove, for breakfast

Ben Nevis, the location of some of our activities, viewed from Loch Eil

Flogging our way up through the foothills of Ben Nevis...

...eventually reaching the snow line

The "walking party" at the climbers' hut below the summit of Ben Nevis

Our final day was a more leisurely hike through the Ariundle forest walk near our base at Strontian, Argyll

I was able to record some 87 bird species during the trip, including some first arrivals of the summer (Black Redstart, Common Sandpiper, Manx Shearwater, Tree Pipit) as well as some upland species like Twite, Ring Ouzel, Raven and Hooded Crow. Altogether a most satisfying and energetic few days in Scotland.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Welcome home you wanderer. You must have some very strong legs to cycle up those hills, it would kill me, I'm sure. I'm really impressed.

I'm glad to hear it was fun too and the hiking looks great, I'd have been up for that, and the bird watching.

10:36 pm  
Blogger simon said...

How fantastic!- Mate I saw an Australian Pipit on the weekend!

3:48 am  
Blogger Sara said...

How fantastic! What an enthralling existence you lead. I love your first photograph. Did you take that one? It's absolutely gorgeous.

12:57 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

What beautiful country! And such a worthy endeavor. And that kind of activity can keep you young!

2:25 am  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Maalie,
I think what you're doing is great! You're a blessed man.

10:12 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Greetings from Vienna! Yes, all the pictures are mine! Thanks everyone!

4:44 pm  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Oh Maalie - the photos are wonderful - how very jealous I am not to see it all first hand!!

Have fun in Vienna!! and takes lots of photos to share please

4:50 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Ben Nevis looks pretty chilly. A friend of mine is a mountain guide on there. My husband and sons wanted to walk it when we were there about 4 years ago, but I was very concerned as my husband can't read a compass and lots of climbers die on Nevis. Glad you made it ok.

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home