Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Vienna Frippery

This is the final episode of my Viennese Quintet. There is no theme to this post, save a few images and memories of my stay in Vienna
Gloriette - where it began...

Cumulo-nimbus storm clouds brewing over Vienna: the Schönbrunn Palace Palace as seen from the Gloriette

Belvedere Palace
Mountain avens Dryas octapetala, one of the early colonisers of glacial moraines after the ice retreats. I had never before seen it in flower (alpine garden, Belvedere Palace)

Dürnstein, Wachau Valley
Sunset at Neusiedl

Brandl - for a good schnitzel and a glass of smooth Austrian red wine

The Reisenrad, Vienna's famous Ferris Wheel

The gondolas are actually old railway carriages - an exciting way to see the night- lights of Vienna from on high














Message for Simon
: Given a cold frosty night, would you rather snuggle up

to her.....




.....or her?









A bottle (or two) of Victoria Bitter at the Australian Pub in Vienna










Endless things to photograph in the Vienna Woods

The scent of lilac (flieder) filled the air in Vienna

The Masters - Beethoven, Strauss and Mozart




Cuckoo sign











Two musicians







Sunday lunch in Café Diglas after the concert in the Golden Hall







Do it in style in Vienna - in the gentle- man's toilet






Football crazy, European countries in sweets, in anticipation of the European Cup Fimals. England is not represented....

And back to the Gloriette where it also ended.... Race you up the hill!

And here's to a rapid return to Vienna!
(Football fans: pun intended!)

18 Comments:

Blogger TCA said...

I was hoping for a nice picture of your host...

W

10:51 am  
Blogger Merisi said...

You better watch out, Rapid has won the Austrian Championship! They may regale you with a Season Ticket, in sweet memory of their victory over the ... er .... Celtics.

12:27 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

TCA: It is not for want of gratitude of the guidance I was given, I was simply concerned about using up my allocation of server space on my google account...

Merisi: A season ticket to Vienna? Yes please! It curious that both teams wear the same colour green shirts.

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must not like me...you never leave a comment on my blog...booohooooohooo!

ah well, no matter. i am sure i will get over the rejection someday. :-)

hey, i just picked up a used book called world of birds by james fisher and roger tory peterson.
192 full colour plates.

published by crescent books..
no date

bird paintings by
roger tory peterson

printed and bound in italy

lovely book.

5:26 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Certainly not all there is frippery! (I had to look that up, by the way.)

You're making me thirsty.

11:40 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Ted: Yes, good beer!

Nancy: I know those authors! James Fisher wrote a monograph on the Maalie (Fulmar bird), I have a copy!

I will be over to yours directly!

6:54 am  
Blogger simon said...

I would snuggle up to HER for sure! LOVE the VB and it is nice to see that the Austrians know a quality lager when they see one :o)

great photos and makes me jealous that I have not visited Vienna yet!

7:04 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Simon, I have to point out that I refused to accept the glasses from the freezer. The beers are on the table there to allow them to come up to ambient temperature.

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi maalie,
i deleted the post that you commented on prayer...it said there were no comments. so your comment must have arrived as i was deleting. that is so strnge. i did not think that anyone had actually read that one. i did get your comment in my email box though. i can understand your comment. i think that their are many people that pray the way that you do.

i am very happy that you are leaving comments at my blog. yea!

9:55 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Nancy: happiness is a precious phenomenon, so I will look in again.

Simon: Mate, I meant to add that if you choose the one one the left, when you wake in the morning you will find deep scratches on your back; choose the one one the right you will end up covered in scales and smelling of fish. It happened to me one night on Askam beach.

10:02 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I loved all these pictures, but most of all I love your spirit for adventure and the way you enjoy life and visit every continent. I wonder where you will head to next.

9:06 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thanks Ellee, as a matter of fact I am off to Lapland in a couple of days, I just can't keep myself away from the taiga forest and the tundra!

9:30 am  
Blogger simon said...

smelling of fish? not too bad! room temp? well room temp here mate is 35c!! so cool is 5-10 c i agree!

You runcible fellow!

10:54 am  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I do like my beer cold though. You guys drink it at room temperature!?!

1:51 pm  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

I was hoping for a picture of the host too TCA.

Maalie, the pictures are lovely - what a wonderful week you had - flowers, lights, music - good food and good company - you can't beat that! Did you ride the ferris wheel??

2:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i saw this...i thought of you, maalie.

http://www.photoblog.com/Nora75/2008/05/10/bird-reserve-oacutecsa-hungary-pest-country.html#comments

3:44 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Halfmom, yes indeed there is a wonderful view from the top of the Ferris wheel!

Nancy: Thank you for that! That is exactly what I do, I use the same sorts of net, and I recognise the birds they are holding!

7:37 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Just you be careful what you get up to in the Vienna woods.

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home