Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald

Tales from the Vienna Woods

It was Merisi's Vienna for Beginners that inspired my visit to Austria and I am grateful to the blog author for guidance which enabled my visit to be so enjoyable. This post is the first of a series.

The Woods of Johann Strauss' eponymous waltz swathe the hills around Vienna in a mosaic of some 82 ha of vineyards overlooking the Danube.


Vineyard on the fringe of the Vienna Woods, overlooking the city of Vienna

View through the woods to Vienna with the Danube in the background

The woods may be explored on foot by wandering through the trails

Things you might see in the Vienna Woods







Red squirrel
















Cowslip (Photo: Merisi)















Helical snail
















Fiddlehead














Schnapps- scarf







Buttercup meadow

Danube river cruise

The Vienna Woods may also be viewed with great advantage from the river, particularly by a boat cruise upstream from Vienna through the famous wine-growing and scenic Wachau Valley from Krems to Melk.
There are many stunning views through the Wachau Valley like this monastery near Melk

Dusk over the Danube seen from the Vienna Woods

11 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

well- it looks absolutely stunning. The city at night, the glass of wine, the vineyards and the woods...

thats what I call STYLE! :o)

11:05 pm  
Blogger Tortoiseshell said...

Nice blog! Good night Mr Light ;-)

11:42 pm  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Absolutely wonderful!

I agree with Simon - STYLE indeed!

3:21 am  
Blogger Merisi said...

Beautiful story from the Vienna Woods!
I wonder if Australians do serve wine in beer glasses, possibly straight from the freezer. *grin*
Would you believe I have never been on a Danube cruise in the Vienna area?
N.B.:
The first view, over the vineyards, is from Kahlenberg, the last one, at dusk, from Leopoldsberg.

7:24 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

You can see my hand reaching for the phone in the breast pocket of my shirt because my son was calling at the very moment the photo was being taken! PMSL!

7:32 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Wow, what great photo's Maalie. They make me want to skip out of the office and be there!

Thanks for your recent comment - it is funny how our opening pics are so similar. I think Spring and as you say Beltane are seasons of growth and change in our human lives too, which is hardly surprising is it? We just need to learn to go with the flow more.

8:57 am  
Blogger Shrinky said...

Oh my, Vienna has a lot to recommend it. I have to confess, it's the buttercup meadow that did it for me - brings back memories of a beautiful summers day. I took home a huge bundle of buttercups which I still have (dried). Ah, happy days..

10:29 am  
Blogger simon said...

yes we DO serve wine in beer glasses here Merisi!

11:37 am  
Blogger Shrinky said...

Tag - you're it!

8:51 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I've only seen a snow covered Austria on ski trips, I've always wanted to see the green mountains and fields, it looks really stunning. And what great photos too.

8:54 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

Simon,
you are not trying to make me believe you got that much wine down under? ;-)

5:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home