Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, June 13, 2008

Old Man of Coniston

The Old Man of Coniston at 803 metres (2276 feet) is the seventh highest mountain in England and I can see it from my house. With half an hour's drive to Coniston village, I can be on the summit (if pushed) two hours after that. Normally it takes quite a bit longer than that because there is so much to see on the way.

I pass along the shore of Coniston Water, the morning mist not yet burned off

I get a glimpse of my destination

The sun is still low enough to cast long shadows

A small beck trickles down the fell side through....

...an ancient cart track bridge








Foxgloves seem to spring up...











...almost overnight












A wild rose graces the day






A stunted juniper clings to an existence in a rock crevice












...likewise a Rowan in bloom





I soon gain altitude and look down of the misty valleys below

Close to the summit - habitat of Wheatear, Meadow Pipit and Ring Ouzel

The summit cairn - mission accomplished. Al that remains if for...

...a deserved pint of best Coniston Bluebird real ale in the village below

6 Comments:

Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Lovely Maalie! Is that a stone wall in one of the pictures? If so, would you mind if I had a copy of it - I've been looking for a good one via the internet for a blog post I want to do but haven't found one - they line the fields in the old part of the Appalachian mountains where I'm from.

Nice hat!

2:24 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Maalie,
I'm sure that beer tasted good! You're a man on the move, and great to see on pics what you see and breathe firsthand. It's amazing, the tenacity of life.

I like the story Susan tells on her blog! That's another book you need to write, with sketches and pictures included.

2:38 pm  
Blogger simon said...

Again, you have excelled yourself!

Fit as a Maalie king I would say!

8:18 am  
Blogger Shrinky said...

Wonderful photography, a beautiful spot indeed. I'm sure that beer tasted good, huh?

3:34 pm  
Blogger Maria said...

Lovely trip! Your pictures are excellent! I also love hiking and mountain climbing very much, I do it mainly in Austria. And: I also love to drink a cool beer when mission is accomplished... ;)

8:30 am  
Blogger TCA said...

No rowing on the lake this time? It looked like a splendid day for a walk and a well deserved ale.

B.B

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home