Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mabon 2009

A Happy Festival of Mabon to you all!

Mabon is the Festival of the Autumn Equinox. It is also known as Harvest Home and celebrates the gathering in of the harvest. An equinox in astronomy is the time when the centre of the Sun can be observed to be directly above the equator. The date of the Autumn Equinox can be between September 21st and 23rd, but celebrations traditionally commence on 21st.

I think of the Autumn Equinox as the "tipping point" of summer: after that, the nights are longer than the days (in the north). There may still be some lingering warm days, but winter is not far off.
Harvest (almost) home. The modern methods of harvesting are...


The cut hay lies in windrows to dry before...

...harvest is home

The trees are changing colour...

...and deciduous leaf fall is underway






Crab apples are in season...














...and Hawthorn bushes are laden with red berries




The heaths look tired and brown...






...but a late flowering bell-heather Erica tetralix give a pin-point of colour








'Tis the season to be pie-ful

Equinoctial sunset over my village (you can see my house if you know where to look)
The island in the distance behind which the sun is setting is the Isle of Man)

10 Comments:

Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Beautiful country photos. I love these. The landscape looks quite similar in many ways to our local Abita Springs area here. We certainly have lots of Hawthorne berries.

2:55 pm  
Blogger donsands said...

That was pleasant. I love the autumn season. I don't look forward to winter however.

God bless.

7:25 pm  
Blogger simon said...

I think I can pick it out mate... cute little harvester too

6:30 am  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

The hawthorn tree outside my window is loaded with berries, as I type. Lovely post, Maalie.

2:27 pm  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

Love the photographs Maalie.. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post with us.

6:02 pm  
Blogger TCA said...

Isn't this the ame post as last Mabon? Would have thought you'd collected some more combine harvester pictures since then!

W

2:41 pm  
Blogger Halfmom said...

I thought it looked familiar as well - staying too busy to do something new?

I do not look forward to fall just because it means winter is soon to follow. We have been so abnormally cool this summer that I must confess I'm dreading winter should it also be colder than normal.

3:29 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

My holly bushes are covered with red berries. Bit early?

7:45 am  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks for the good lesson and the beautiful pics.

Autumn is now my second favorite time of the year, behind Spring. I really like all the seasons, but just kind of like temperant and mild weather/climate.

But the change is hitting us fast here in Michigan. Snow a week from Sunday possible, I hear!

6:41 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

temperate! I guess I do not like misspellng, though I may have done it in this sentence as well!! Oh, well.

6:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home