Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More birds of Shetland

ATTACK! I must have wandered too close to this Great Skua's chicks!

ATTACK! Even the comparatively diminutive Arctic Tern will draw blood on your scalp in defence of its chicks!

ATTACK! And angry Great Black-backed Gull goes into attack mode...

...decides his flight path...

...and comes in for the strike!

An Arctic Skua keeps a wary eye over its territory

The Red-throated Diver's "paddles" are right at the rear...

...perfectly adapted to a life of swimming and diving...

..resulting in the need for a very long watery runway in order to get airborne.

The Dunlin has her black belly only in summer when nesting up on the moors...

...to witness a flypast of a squadron of Oystercatchers

The Wheatear can be thought of as the "Moorland Sparrow"

And last but not least, the tiny Storm Petrel that wanders the world's oceans (birds I have ringed in Shetland have been found in the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean) and comes ashore only at night to breed. Although at opposite ends of the size spectrum, this little fellow is related to the albatrosses (and Fulmar) as you can tell from the little tubular structure on the top of the bill.

14 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I love these pictures, especially the attacking birds. Is that storm petrel a baby?

4:00 pm  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Wonderful pics. I especially love the stormy petrel.

4:21 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

So many bird!
That restless Storm Petrel looks as if made out of only plumes d'eider (can't remember the English word), so soft looking, while in reality adapted to stay in flight for what seems forever. Or am I wrong?

Could you please send a gaggle of Oystercatchers with their catch over here, I would love to make myself an Oyster Po' Boy!

4:54 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

So many birdssss!
(See what a lack of seafood does!)

Word verification:
envilladas

4:55 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I love that stormy petrel too. I was on the edge of Minsmere yesterday and wished you were there to point out all the different species.

8:26 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

When I was on the interisland ferry yesterday I was watching seabirds swooping around in the middle of Cook Strait. There was one bird with a huge wingspan, and I also was wishing you were there to tell me what it was!

3:40 am  
Blogger donsands said...

Very lovely photographs. Excellent.

I just got back from the Eastern Chesapeake Bay Shore, and was blessed by seeing Ospreys dive from high above into the river and catch some striped bass.

I wish you could come over here to the States and take a few shots of the Ospreys.
My camera skills are weak.

4:50 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Maybe an albatross Kiwi?

5:54 pm  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

What a beautiful bird pictures ... love them.. my fav is the 5th and last one so adorable and cute. wow God give them really good gift of flying ...


take care

thanks

10:22 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Again, just amazing pictures. You really ought to write a book with photographs. I'd love to have it.

We're feeding some birds right now in our front yard, though it looks like only sparrows, as I did not spot any wren as perhaps Deb did.

11:11 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Not sure if it was an albatross lorenzo..... there are a few possibilities I think...maalie would have known which one it was though!!

3:33 am  
Blogger Halfmom said...

The birds are lovely - as ususal.

3:51 am  
Blogger simon said...

Chricket upate---well- After Pontings dreadful catching attempts and a missed stumping- I have moved the beer further away from the fridge mate... bring on the rain!!

12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its really lovely pictures. and i love all birds with flying.

john

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1852075726961070292&postID=2461746105658222644&page=1

1:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home