Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lerwick, Shetland Isles

After an all-night sea-crossing from Aberdeen, the ship arrives at the Shetland Isles at dawn the following morning.

First glimpse of Shetland with the rising sun illuminating altostratus

Approaching Lerwick, the capital of Shetland (see map below)

Lerwick harbour, once a bustling fishing port is now a yachting destination
In the old town, the buildings come right down to the water's edge

Lerwick High Street, barely wide enough for a delivery vehicle

Over the hill on the west side, the neighbouring town of Scalloway

Five minutes drive out of Lerwick and there are lochs, bogs and yellow irises...

...and Maalies to be seen along the shore

The Shetland Isles
The red arrow points to the place on the island of Yell where I am staying
Please click on the map to enlarge

11 Comments:

Blogger donsands said...

Inspiring photos. Do the people here have Scottish roots? Do they have the same Scottish Brogue?

8:19 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

So that's where the Shetland ponies come from? My wife would be particularly interested in that.

I agree with Don. Great pics, as always.

Looking at pics, Scotland just seems to have a special appeal to me for some reason. If I could travel everywhere, that might change, but I sure do agree somehow, with what I see. I love green and rolling countryside. And I also love trees.

(I wonder how Scots and Irish get along)

11:01 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I wonder if you also like the rain and fog Ted?

1:00 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Lorenzo,
Good question. Not all the time, for sure.

And my guess is that it might be on the nippy side, at least it would be for sure for my wife. Though the UK/ British Isles do seem to be moderated by all the water surrounding them. But hence, all the rain and fog, I suppose. (Isn't "London Fog" a phrase well known to some?)

11:16 pm  
Blogger simon said...

have to say it evokes very fond memories and I remember the streets of Lerwick and the harbour well! ( not to mention how seasick I was...)

12:05 am  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

i never been to this place, but seems like a great place. Love the photography as usual...god Bless

3:41 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I hope the people who live in those lovely houses that go down to the see have heard about global warming.

11:28 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

.. er that is 'go down to the sea'

1:10 pm  
Blogger Peltops said...

How are the Divers doing? And I hope you are filling in atlas cards - Graveland was blank last time I looked!

4:05 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Those villages look like they were built to last.

Thanks for your comments, Maalie, over on my blog.

5:21 pm  
Anonymous MB said...

I think i have seen heaven here
Going to Google the Shetland Islands

10:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home