Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Sunday, August 16, 2009

My new kitchen

As my kitchen was starting to fall to pieces, I recently departed for my holiday leaving instructions with my tame builder to rip it all out and put in a new one. He began burbling nonsense about "units" and "tiles" and "cooker" and "taps" to which my reply was "Mate, I'm paying you to make those decisions for me".

Leaving him with with the keys to Maalie Court, I hinted that I would be very pleased if it was finished when I got home.

Maalie Court's new kitchen. I am extremely pleased with it, it is un-fussy, functional and has more work surface and storage space than I had before. I am especially pleased with the eye-level grill facility on the cooker (can't be seen in this picture, the cooker is lower right in the corner).
Click on the picture to get an indication of the state of my old kitchen

Even before I had cleaned and put away all the kitchen crockery and utensils that I had left lying around the house, I could not resist the temptation to bake a couple of wholemeal organic loaves of bread.

Then I roasted a chicken, basted with chicken juice, butter and paprika suspension.
NOW you can see the eye-level grill.
I wonder how long those tiles will remain unstained from bolognese sauce.


I needed to see if my griddle worked properly, so I made a batch of Welsh cakes

Afternoon tea, anyone?

Recipe for Welsh Cakes
8 ounces self-raising flour
4 ounces margarine or butter
3 ounces of sugar
2 ounces of currants
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons of milk

Rub margarine into the flour until it looks like crumbs. Add the sugar and currants and mix. Then add the egg and milk until it makes a smooth dough but not too sticky. Roll out the dough to about 2cm thickness. Cut into circles of about 5cm and place on a hot greased griddle until brown on both sides. Sprinkle with icing sugar for decoration.

x x x x x x x

The only disadvantage with my new kitchen that I have so far discovered is the tiled floor. Before, it was carpeted, so if I dropped an egg or spilled some milk, the carpet soaked it up nicely. Now I have to wipe it all up as otherwise I would be slip-sliding and skidding around all over the kitchen.

15 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Ooo nice! Yes I'll come round for afternoon tea. Hope that cooker stays nice and clean.

You should get a dog. Anything I spill on the floor is immediately licked up by Badger.

7:03 pm  
Blogger simon said...

ahahahahahah! love that last paragraph. Looks like I will have to get on a plane and have a baked chicken or pheasant dinner with you mate!

12:45 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Simon: Maalie is now a vegetarian so it will have to be roast tofu or quorn

12:52 pm  
Anonymous May said...

Nice new kitchen and lots of inviting food!

5:36 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

Who stole the wing off the chicken? ;-)

Beautiful kitchen and, yes, I am ready for a cup of tea and some of those Welsh cakes!

9:00 pm  
Blogger simon said...

Really Lorenzo? I think fruit and veg was at one stage banned in the maalie court, mind you, the way I feel I could easily just have vege juice...

12:25 am  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

A vegetarian who just roasted a chicken? Something in lorenzo's story is not quite right...

4:58 am  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Very nice. I can smell it, with that food. You look like you're well experienced in cooking and baking. Good for you! Glad you have a nice kitchen like that. Alot in a little area, it looks like.

9:09 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Kiwi: that chicken is a soya chicken, just made to look like a chicken but tastes much better!

3:48 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Merisi: it must have been the workmen who stole the wing off that 'chicken'. Maalie is a vegetarian now!

3:50 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Your new kitchen looks very smart - the units are similar to the ones we had fitted last year. And you are certainly doing it justice by cooking all those tasty treats. The lady in your life is very lucky indeed....

8:56 pm  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

nice post... made me hungry though.. love your new kitchen...

take care

9:16 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thank you all for wonderful comments! I now feel quite at home in my kitchen!

Oh, Ellee, sad to say, there is no Lady of Maalie Court, though I do have Lord and Lady friends who visit :-)

8:20 am  
Blogger donsands said...

My wife is planning to make some Welsh cakes from your recipe. Just wanted to let you know. She is very much into having tea parties.

10:16 pm  
Anonymous shetlandmylove said...

I love your baking,your bread almost looks as good as mine!!

6:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home