Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, January 22, 2010

My iPod Nano

I acquired my16 gigabyte iPod Nano just over a year ago, paying about 125 pounds in an airport duty-free shop. Although I was at first doubtful if I would be able to master all the jargon and technology surrounding iTunes software, playlists, podcasts, and so on, with a little help from my elder son (who is really into this sort of thing) I got to grips with it and I would now be at a loss without it. I have loaded it with some 50 CDs (mainly classical) and innumerable podcasts from the radio, a few pictures and over 200 bird calls. It is still only half full.

My little blue iPod Nano playing a podcast from the BBC

I bought a stereo speaker system for about 65 pounds into which the iPod neatly docks.
The sound volume would not fill a disco but it is perfectly adequate for domestic use
and the quality of the sound is good.

It comes with a mains adapter, but also will run off six AAA batteries which slot into the back.

Just look how thin the speaker system is when folded up. It slips easily into the pocket of a suitcase and takes up no space at all - it goes everywhere with me on my many travels.

Having nearly lost my iPod twice during fieldwork, I have invested in a little leather case with a lanyard which goes round the neck or can be attached to a belt

An important use for my iPod is in fieldwork. I have some 200 bird voices loaded on which can be used for attracting birds for ringing them. The little speaker cost under six pounds from Tesco, runs off 3 AAA batteries and delivers sufficient volume for most fieldwork purposes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Badger said...

Of all the technology which appeared during the last few years I think the iPod takes the prize for the most useful. I have 14,000 songs on my iPod - plus photos, all my German language stuff and even a couple of videos. Marvelous!

2:24 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I must admit I am scared by the technology. It takes all my time to fathom out the computer. We still haven't worked out how to use the dvd player!

5:26 pm  
Blogger simon said...

You must have taken a leaf out of gadget womans book.....

9:32 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I'm impressed both at what you have and that you are versed in using them. It is amazing what is available. Of particular interest are the 200 bird voices. Wow.

3:08 am  
Blogger TCA said...

Photoshop, iPod and Kindle.. technologies of the century.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Hey, this is terrific. I have an iPhone is it is my best non-human friend. You seem to have bought all the gadgets to go with it. I don't have any speakers for mine. Which ones did you buy?

7:41 pm  
Blogger simon said...

they are brilliant ipods! I still remember the beaut set up in shetland though- a couple of small speakers, and a small disk player all in a tupperware sandwich box!

9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home