Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

A day out with Pam - what a Bore!

This week the relative positions of the Earth, Moon and Sun resulted in the highest tides predicted for this year. Under such conditions, the surge of the rising tide when funnelled into narrowing river estuaries can give rise to a frontal wave known as a "bore". The best known bore in Britain is that associated with the River Severn.

The rising tide funnelling into the Bristol Channel and up into the rapidly constricting
River Severn is responsible for the Severn Bore

The tidal bore on the River Severn can be large enough to provide an opportunity for surfers
(For source please click on the picture)

Nearer to my home, Morecambe Bay provides a wide enough "mouth" to funnel the rising tide into the River Kent to create an observable Bore. So Pam and I visited a viewing spot by the River Kent at Arnside to witness the spectacle.

Morecambe Bay, showing the funnelling effect up into the River Kent (top right). The red arrow indicates our viewing position; the green arrow shows the approximate position of Arnside Knott hill and the direction of the picture below.
The location of Maalie Court is shown in the top left.

Southerly view from Arnside Knott into Morcambe Bay

Spectators gather on the pier waiting for the Bore
with snow on the Cumbrian fells in the background


Pam (left) cannot contain her excitement as she breaks away from the crowd
to look for the approach of the bore...


Here it comes!

And off it goes on its way upstream!

Well, on this occasion the bore was not as dramatic a spectacle as has been known in the past. Local people said that there was too much water in the river from the melting snow in the mountains, which tends to flatten out the bore wave. Nevertheless it was fun to see, and not a bad way to mark Pam's birthday!


7 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

aahahahaha! I could not contain myself. I had to laugh out loud!
It reminded me of that wonderful quote

"I knew I should not have come here"

Anyway looking forward to catching up in the locations of the bore! ahahahahahaha!

9:54 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I can't sleep. Slept too well earlier I guess, and maybe Deb's good coffee, too. Anyhow interesting post as always. Never heard of the like. You're good with titles.

6:04 am  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

When you first said you were going to see the Kent Bore I thought you meant you were travelling to Kent! I have now learned there is a River Kent!

Do you know how often the bores come and are they well predicted. I remember Mum used to get a coach to watch the Severn Bore.

Happy birthday Pam!

9:05 am  
Blogger Badger said...

Wish I'd been there!

11:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

Are there any similar effects in the Duddon? There is the sudden narrowing at Askam Pier and I know that the tide can run at about 5 knots there.

In Morecambe Bay, I know that the tide comes in very fast even when there is no bore.

I need to get these facts straight as I will be launching my canoe in the Duddon when it warms up a bit.

I doubt I will match the recent Cumbrian first by the Blue Peter lass who canoed the Amazon, but Duddon Bridge to Hodbarrow is perfectly respectable, provided I do not get beached on stinking mud flats for 12 hours!

Best wishes,

Jon

3:23 pm  
Blogger imac said...

Hi Jim.(king Maalie).

Great to see a photo of the Bore, what a brill photo.

Thanks for your visit to my blog and your kind comments.

Hope I explained the wording and phase right for Llangollen.

8:00 pm  
Blogger Herrad said...

Hi Jim,
I enjoyed reading this post and looking at the photos.
The bore looked good despite being small, it is an amazing event.
Have a good Wednesday.
Love,
Herrad

9:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home